Time to Read: 3 m 45s
Certain tube processing applications require custom metal fabrication cutting services that are clean and efficient and minimize the need for secondary processing. Tube laser cutting is a highly effective metal fabrication process that delivers quick and efficient precision cuts consistently to meet your project specifications.
What is Tube Laser Cutting?Tube laser cutting is a precision tube processing service that uses Fiber or Co2 laser technology to cut tubes, structural shapes, and channels. Tube laser cutting is ideal for applications that require precise placement of holes or the addition of cut features before fabrication. The tube laser cutting process can cut carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and red materials like copper, brass, and bronze. Using a 3D solid model, programmed per your drawing specifications, we can create custom designs unique to your project specifications and or requirements.
How Does Tube Laser Cutting Work?There are several steps when utilizing tube laser cutting for metal fabrication. The laser technology uses a precisely narrowed and focused beam of light that vaporizes the tube's metal in precise contact, producing an immaculate cut that minimizes the need for secondary processing.
Required Steps in the Tube Laser Cutting ProcessTube laser cutting offers several advantages over traditional methods. It is more precise, faster, and can easily cut complex shapes and patterns. It also introduces material efficiency and produces less waste material which is more environmentally friendly. The following steps should be followed when utilizing the tube laser-cutting process:
- Preparation – The tube laser machine is programmed using customer provided 3D models to your specific cutting pattern. The tube or pipe is then loaded and locked within the device.
- Focus – The tube laser cutting machine identifies material location, size, and edge of the tube using photo sensors or touch probing and performs analysis of material profile vs 3D model.
- Cut – The tube travels through machine rollers, rotating as needed allowing the laser to cut required holes or features with accuracy and repeatability.
- Finish – After laser cutting, sharp edges, and burrs are removed using highly effective deburring or sanding processes.
What Materials & Shapes Can Be Cut Using Tube Laser Cutting?Tube laser cutting machines are designed to provide precision cuts to stainless steel, steel, aluminum, and red metals brass, bronze, and copper materials. Intricate shapes can also be custom fashioned to suit your application requirements. Custom tube laser cutting metal fabrication shape options include:
- Round tube
- Square tube
- Rectangular shapes
- Extruded parts
What are the Advantages of Laser Tube Processing?Tube laser metal fabrication services significantly benefit your metal processing needs. Direct laser tube processing advantages include:
- Precision cuts
- Highly accurate
- Improved repeatability
- Faster processing times
- Minimizes pre- or post-processing
- Creates complex parts in minutes
Tube Laser Cutting Industries ServedTube laser cutting manufacturing services are designed to support the following industries:
Consideration Factors When Choosing a Tube Laser for Your ProjectSeveral consideration factors should be met before deciding which tube laser cutting company is right for your project. Consideration factors include:
- Material and equipment under the same roof for faster lead times?
- Quality control – inspection process
- Certifications and quality standards
- Experience and expertise
- Customer service and support
- Custom options
Why Choose IMS for Your Laser Tube Cutting Needs?Our tube laser cutting services utilize Fiber and Co2 laser machines that can cut materials as long as 26’ and as short as one inch. Material cutting thicknesses include:
- Thickness up to 3/4" for steel
- Thicknesses up to 5/16" for stainless steel
- Thicknesses up to 1/4" for aluminum
- Thicknesses up to 3/16” for Brass or Bronze
- 10" diameters for round tubing
- 8” for rectangle and square tubing
- 8” square options for structural shapes, including angle, channel, I-beam, and bent plate or extruded materials
The IMS DifferenceWhat separates IMS from other steel suppliers? With an abundance of metal options and customer service that is second to none, IMS has you covered with the following metal stock advantages:
- Material under same roof as cutting equipment
- Next-day delivery of processed material via our trucks
- Same-day pick-up in Will-Call
- No minimum purchase
- Unprecedented customer service
- Support of Just-in-Time manufacturing processes
- Salespeople that act as an extension of your purchasing department (we will get any metal products you need)
- Material management (stocking and delivery on a scheduled basis)
- Credit lines with good terms
- Seven stores are open six days a week (check each location for specific times)
- Cut-to-size services
- Shop by metal alloy