Corten Steel Sheet and Plate
Corten and weathering steel are often used interchangeably because they are essentially the same material. Weathering steel is the generic name while Cor-Ten® is the United States Steel Corporation's trade name for atmospheric corrosion resistant steel.
Read more about corten steel sheet and plate below!
Find Corten Sheet Metal for Your Project in California, Arizona & Northern MexicoIdeal for outdoor structural projects, Corten steel utilizes a protective oxide coating that prevents atmospheric corrosion from environmental conditions. The oxidation film allows for enhanced corrosion resistance versus regular carbon steel, offering a low-maintenance option for a variety of construction projects and applications.
Industrial Metal Supply stocks ASTM A606-4 sheet and plate in a variety of gauges (thicknesses). Benefits of buying weathering steel from IMS include:
- Material in stock for same day pick up
- High volume discount pricing
- Next-day local delivery
- Custom cut metal and cut to size services
Corten, also known as weathering steel, is a group of steel alloys developed to eliminate the need for painting. Instead, the surface forms a stable rust-like appearance when exposed to environmental elements. We sell our weathering steel in its original state. The rustic appearance (reddish-brown rust color) occurs over time when exposed to atmospheric corrosion.
Weathering Steel Basics
Corten is also known under ASTM A606-4, A588, or A847.
ASTM A606 Type 4 SteelProperties of ASTM A606 Type 4 steel include the following:
- Weldable (ideally to other weathering steel alloys)
- Lighter than carbon steel
- Ideal for high strength-to-weight ratio applications
Benefits of ASTM A606-4 Corten Plate and SheetWith its high tensile strength and corrosion resistance, ASTM A606-4 corten steel provides advantages over carbon steel, including:
- Ideal for load-bearing structures
- Reddish-brown appearance makes it aesthetically appealing
- Can withstand high heat levels without corrosion
- Minimal maintenance/future maintenance
- Eliminates the need for initial and future paint maintenance
Weathering Sheet and Plate Application UsesCommon uses for weathering sheet and plate include:
- Building structures
- Welded bridges
- Corrugated panels