Corten and weathering steel are often used interchangeably because they are essentially the same material. Weathering steel is the generic name while Cor-Ten® is the United States Steel Corporation's trade name for atmospheric corrosion resistant steel.
Ideal for outdoor structural projects, Corten steel utilizes a protective oxide coating that prevents atmospheric corrosion from environmental conditions. The oxidation film allows for enhanced corrosion resistance versus regular carbon steel, offering a low-maintenance option for a variety of construction projects and applications.
Industrial Metal Supply stocks ASTM A606-4 sheet and plate in a variety of gauges (thicknesses). Benefits of buying weathering steel from IMS include:
- Material in stock for same day pick up
- High volume discount pricing
- Next-day local delivery
- Custom cut metal and cut to size services
Corten, also known as weathering steel, is a group of steel alloys developed to eliminate the need for painting. Instead, the surface forms a stable rust-like appearance when exposed to environmental elements. We sell our weathering steel in its original state. The rustic appearance (reddish-brown rust color) occurs over time when exposed to atmospheric corrosion.
Weathering Steel Basics
Corten is also known under ASTM A606-4, A588, or A847.
ASTM A606 Type 4 SteelProperties of ASTM A606 Type 4 steel include the following:
- Weldable (ideally to other weathering steel alloys)
- Lighter than carbon steel
- Ideal for high strength-to-weight ratio applications
Benefits of ASTM A606-4 Corten Plate and SheetWith its high tensile strength and corrosion resistance, ASTM A606-4 corten steel provides advantages over carbon steel, including:
- Ideal for load-bearing structures
- Reddish-brown appearance makes it aesthetically appealing
- Can withstand high heat levels without corrosion
- Minimal maintenance/future maintenance
- Eliminates the need for initial and future paint maintenance
Weathering Sheet and Plate Application UsesCommon uses for weathering sheet and plate include:
- Building structures
- Welded bridges
- Corrugated panels