Steel Plate and Steel Sheet
Read more info about advantages and applications for steel sheet & plate.
Explore Our Steel Plate and Steel Sheet Options
We stock steel sheet and plate in 36”, 48”, and 60” widths and in 96”, 120”, and 144” lengths. Our metal services include custom cut-to-size sheet and plate options to fit your exact specifications.
If you are unsure which type of steel plate or steel sheet product you need, please contact us or stop by one of our California or Arizona locations.
Hot Rolled Steel Sheet
- Hot rolled steel sheet and plate provides a rougher surface than cold rolled steel and plate.
- When galvanized it is also regularly used in applications where corrosion resistance is a necessity.
- High strength and highly formable HR steel sheet and plate is also easy to drill, form and weld.
- HR steel sheet is available as standard hot rolled or as hot rolled P & O.
- Common HR steel specifications include HR A36, HR A1011, and HR A1018
Hot Rolled Steel Sheet & Plate AdvantagesHot rolling utilizes large ingots and large reduction rolling, which not only improves production efficiency, but also creates conditions for increasing rolling speed and achieving a continuous and automated rolling process. Some of the other benefits associated with hot rolled steel sheet and plate include:
- Increased malleability
- Numerous applications
- Less expensive than cold rolling
- High rate of production
Cold Rolled Steel SheetCold rolled steel sheet is, essentially, hot rolled steel that has been further processed to increase its strength and strength-to-weight ratio.
- In general, CR steel sheet can hold tighter tolerances than hot rolled when machined or otherwise fabricated, and provides a better overall surface finish.
- In cold rolling, steel sheet is cooled at room temperature (after hot rolling), and is then annealed and/or tempers rolled.
- Although “cold rolled steel” is a specific type of steel, the term is often used to mean all types of carbon steel materials.
- Common specifications for CR steel include ASTM A653, ASTM A879 CQ, ASTM A1008, and CQ SAE 1008.
Steel PlateThe difference between steel sheet and steel plate lies with their gauge or thickness. Plate metal thickness includes steel sheet metal that is 5mm or thicker. Steel plate is often used for construction or structural purposes due to its low maintenance versatility. Benefits of steel plate include:
- Corrosion resistant
- Strength-to-weight ratio
Applications for Steel Sheet & Steel PlateDurable, adaptable, and easy to work with, steel sheet and plate can be used to create a huge variety of products and structures. Common applications for steel plate and sheet include:
- Building & construction
- Automotive & transportation
- Shipping containers
- Heavy equipment
Order Steel Plate and Steel Sheet from our California or Arizona Locations
Stop by one of our six locations across California and Arizona and check out our steel sheet metal inventory. We offer quick delivery throughout the Southwest region and Mexico. Request a quote or contact IMS for high-quality sheet steel and plate steel.