Expanded Sheet Metal
Expanded sheet metal is a versatile and economical product. As the name suggests, expanded sheet is made from a single sheet of metal that has been uniformly slit and then stretched (expanded) to form diamond-shaped openings in the meet.
Expanded sheet offers one-piece construction that won’t unravel and, under normal circumstances, and will hold its shape for many years. The strands and bonds of the diamond-shaped trusses add strength and rigidity. Expanded sheet metal is available in standard (raised) or flattened diamond patterns, in a variety of gauges, opening sizes, and sheet sizes.
Expanded Sheet Materials
Expanded Sheet Profiles
- Standard Expanded Sheet: A finished product as it comes off the press after being die cut and expanded. Often referred to as raised expanded sheet.
- Flattened Expanded Sheet: A standard expanded sheet that is then cold rolled, leaving a flat, smooth surface. Flattened expanded sheet is about 5% lighter than standard expanded sheet.
- Expanded Metal Grating: A heavy duty expanded sheet manufactured from carbon steel sheet or plate. Expanded metal grating has no joints or welds, as each sheet is a single piece of sturdy steel. Ideal for catwalk and platform applications.
Features & Benefits of Expanded Sheet
- One-piece construction
- Excellent strength-to-weight ratio
- Easy cutting and shearing
- Ventilation properties
- Easy handling
- Low wind resistance
- Screen and guarding properties